since school let out it seems like routine has flown out the window. staying up late, sleeping in, non-regular meal times, etc. so i am determined to get back on track. this morning i started out my day with my morning walk. i generally take the same route each time and one of my favorite things on my walk is a particular house. it has one of the most inspiring gardens i have ever seen. this woman has cleverly incorporated food bearing plants all among her landscaping. there are gorgeous blueberry bushes, mature raspberry bushes, immaculate espaliered apple trees, tomatoes, greens, a chicken coop, a bee house and so much more that occupy this small city plot. perhaps the most generous offering is a small post that has a new poem and image posted every few days. i always stop to read the poem and look at the picture and today's poem was this one by gary gildner, needless to say, it spoke to me loud and clear.
Rock Tea
by Gary Gildner
At a hot springs in Sawtooth Mountains
8,000 feet above the level sea,
my two-year-old daughter enters the steamy shallows, and sings
I'm naked! I'm naked! And clings to herself
as if the pink body under her slender arms might slip away.
I do not want her to slip away, not ever,
but I know one day she will. I know
one day she will put on her snow boots
and take up the trail in earnest—and I will call out
I am happy for her, very happy, but sad too,
and hope I will see her again. From the pool's moony wash
she brings me her cupped hands. Rock tea, Papa, you like some?
I cup her hands in my own, and drink. It is delicious, I say,
more delicious than air itself, than life, may I have another?
And perhaps you will have one too? Perhaps, thank you,
In this way, gently over rock tea,
we celebrate how far we have traveled together.
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That gave me goosebumps... beautiful!
What a gorgeous poem. I love this idea. I'm going to start leaving poetry on our fence, we have lots of dog walkers in our neighborhood.
How inspiring. That is great.
Post a Comment